In the framework of the WMY 2000, an International Conference on the general subject of the scientific and cultural role of the Mathematical Sciences in the History of Civilization and in the Future Development of Humanity will take place in Macau, China the 11-14 january 2000.
As a joint initiative Portugal - China, it is being organized under the advice of an international scientific committee composed by J.L. Lions (Chairman, Paris), Gu Chaohao (Shangai), Li Ta-tsien (Shangai), E.R. Arantes e Oliveira (Lisboa), J.F. Rodrigues (Lisboa), J. Palis (Rio de Janeiro), D.G. Crighton (Cambridge), C. Dafermos (Providence, RI), and G. Kahn (Paris).
Aiming a world-wide participation, the scope of this conference includes the following topics :
- Comparison of the role of Mathematics in different civilizations, as well as exchanges and interactions in the past, with particular emphasis on the Orient/Occident encounter of Mathematical Cultures ;
- The role of Mathematics in Calendars, Astronomy and Cartography and other aspects of Mathematics as a driving force in Human Progress ;
- Current co-operation between industrialized and developing countries in the Mathematical Sciences and contributions of Mathematics for the Sustainable Development in Economy, Society and Industry ;
- Mathematical research and education for Science and Technology and the popularization and understanding of Mathematics in diverse Cultures ;
- Perspectives of Mathematics in the future of civilization and its role in the Society of Information.
The city of Macau, in the south of China, having University, large Hotel facilities and an international airport, in addition to being close to Hong Kong, is an ideal location for such a meeting. In particular, Macau has a strong historical meaning as a bridge of commercial and cultural exchanges between East and West. After a long period of European presence, under Portuguese government since 1557, is will return to China administration in December 1999.
Prof. Jose Francisco Rodrigues email@example.com
Prof. Li Ta-tsien firstname.lastname@example.org
Back to summary